Saturday, March 3, 2012

Paradise Found

I'm not much of a vacation girl. Anytime someone says, "you need a vacation," my toes curl.

Staying home is a vacation for me as I am a true homebody. Because I travel so much for my work, being home feels like absolute Heaven which is why I call our home "The Heaven On Earth Lodge." Just put me in the bed, turn on the TV, put a Mac Computer in my lap, a bag of Cheetos by my side, and I'm a happy girl.

So when Todd said we were going to spend a month in Lake Tahoe with his mother, who just happens to be Debbie Reynolds, I was wondering how I would do. I've never taken a month's vacation in my life.

My Todd is the easiest person to be within the world. We laugh a lot, we love a lot, and we get along like a house on fire. We're both tech geeks, we both love Turner Movie Classics Channel, pawn shops, garage sales, and pretty much anything else that's all-American. He is sincerely one of a kind and I learn something new from him every day, which proves that you actually can teach an old Cat new tricks. I still marvel that love could find me as I enter the second act of my life. It can find you, too.

I am crazy about Todd's mom. She's as real as real gets, and that, as the saying goes, is as rare as Hens Teeth in this world, let alone the entertainment business. Todd adores his mother, which makes me love him even more. We spend as much time as we can with her when we are in LA, but it never feels like enough, so I was really looking forward to spending time with her in the beautiful mountains of Lake Tahoe.

The best thing about being with Debbie is Debbie. She is incredibly funny. She is beyond interesting. She is not into small talk (neither am I) and so with her, you're going to get the goods. She has been through everything in life; the good, the bad, the beautiful, and the ugly and still she endures. Debbie is on the road entertaining with her show much of the year, and believe me when I tell you, this is not easy. Yet, she does it because she loves it and that is what entertainers do... share their love. She is so supremely talented and gifted. But what I love most about her (besides her fantastic stories) is her incredible capacity to love.

I will admit I was slightly concerned that I would get on her nerves, after all, we've never lived together for a month. The adage goes that you don't know someone until you've lived with them and that is so true. By the last week, I was getting blue because I just loved seeing her beautiful little face every morning and I didn't want it to end. I had the best vacation.

I walked away from the house on the Lake with more love, more stories, and even more respect for this great woman whom I have come to love as I love my own mother and that's a lot of love.

So Debbie, if you see this, grab your turban, your little white fluffy prince and come on over to watch the sunset. I'll have the wine ready, and it will be a beautiful thing.

Oh, and thank you for the best vacation of my life, So far.

Love For Sure,
Cat

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home





www.catherinehickland.com ©2009-11 catherine hickland all rights reserved web design henry murray